I made a cake today. This week and next, I am covering for my aunt, so I'm working at my Mom's shop. It tastes AWESOME!
Dark Chocolate Stout Cake with Vanilla Bean Buttercream and Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup Chocolate Stout
- 2 sticks Butter
- ¾ cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 2 cups Flour
- 2 cups Sugar
- ½ tablespoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 2 large Eggs
- ¾ cup Sour Cream
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 cup Butter
- 3 TBSP Cream
- 2-1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/3 Vanilla Bean
Salted Caramel Glaze
- 5 tablespoons Butter
- ½ cup packed Dark Brown Sugar
- ⅓ cup Heavy Cream
- Pinch Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ⅔ cup Powdered Sugar
- Pinch of Fleur de Sel
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray or grease round cake pan or bundt pan.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring the stout and butter to a light boil, add the cocoa powder and whisk until smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour,sugar,baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together the eggs, sour cream and vanilla.
- Add the butter/stout mixture to the sour cream mixture and beat until just incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture and beat until just combined.
- Then using a rubber spatula, lightly fold the batter to make sure there are no pockets of flour.
- Pour into cake pan.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with only a few crumbs.
- Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Then cool completely on rack before.
- In a mixer, beat the butter, vanilla extract, and cream for a good 5 minutes.
- Gradually add in the powdered sugar.
- Take 1/3 of a vanilla bean pod and slice it lengthwise. Using the tip of your knife, scrape out the inner granuals and throw these into the mixer. Be careful when you do this.
- Let your buttercream beat until it is completely smooth.
- Refrigerate until ready to use. Layer this thick on top of your cake and place cake-in-progress in fridge.
Salted Caramel Glaze
- In a medium saucepan, bring the butter, dark brown sugar, heavy cream and salt to a rolling boil, stirring constantly.
- Boil for ONE minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, stir in vanilla extract.
- Add about ½ cup of the powdered sugar and whisk until smooth.
- Continue to whisk in powdered sugar by the tablespoon until you reach your desired consistency.
- You can opt to cool the mixture in the fridge for 5-10 minutes, which will help firm up the mixture.
- Remove the cake from the fridge and pour the salted caramel glaze over the top.
- Sprinkle the Fleur de Sel over the glaze.