There are three parts to this project: 1) The Cupcakes, 2) Getting the Charms, and 3) Creating a Charm Guide
Since we need cupcakes, I decided to make a pumpkin spice cupcake with cream cheese frosting, topped with brown sugar.
1 box Yellow Cake Mix (+ required ingredients on box)
1 can Pumpkin Puree
1 TBSP Cinnamon
1 tsp Ginger
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
1 jar Cream Cheese Frosting
- Prepare your cupcake cups by placing them in your pan. Also, turn on your oven to 350F.
- In a bowl (or your mixer), place in the yellow cake mix and the ingredients required for it.
- Add in the pumpkin, cinnamon, and ginger. Mix for at least 5 minutes. The smoother your cake mix, the better the batter, the best batter makes the best cakes.
- Fill each cupcake cup 2/3 of the way full. Your cake mix is going to rise and fill it up, don't worry.
- Sprinkle brown sugar on each cupcake, but make sure you leave a little extra for later.
- Bake at 350F for 25 minutes or until they are done. You can test by inserting a toothpick into a cake. When it comes out clean, the cake is done.
- Turn out the cupcakes and let them cool. If you need to hurry the cooling process, place the cupcakes on a tray and place them in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- To decorate, cover the cupcake tops with cream cheese frosting and then sprinkle brown sugar over them. After this, you will push your charms into the frosting, making sure that the shape cannot be detected by sight.
Getting the Charms
You can find the charms at a local craft store. I found mine at Michaels, but I know that they can also be found at Jo-Ann Fabric. They were around a dollar a piece, so not too expensive. When you purchase the charms, also look for a thin ribbon to put through them. The ribbon allows your guests to easily pull out the charm.
When I did this, I simply cut about a 10" piece of ribbon, strung it through the charm, and knotted the end. Super easy. I also washed the charms.
Creating a Charm Guide
The fortune cakes are not finished until you make a charm guide for your guests. You can make it fancy or simple. It's up to you. Be creative with it. It should be a card size guide with a fortune listed for each charm. Make sure you have some good fortunes and some bad. Ultimately it's up to you.
To help you out, I have listed some popular charm fortunes.
Airplane - Travel is in your foreseeable future.
Key - You will unlock a personal mystery.
Puzzle Piece - A new person or item will allow you to see the big picture.
4-Leaf Clover - You will have good luck.
Star - A little fame is in your future.
Skull - Someone will die.
Vehicle - Someone will leave.
Cat - Despite bad luck, you will land on your feet.
Horse - You will want to take that long gamble.
Microphone/megaphone - Be careful of what you hear.
Coin - You will come into some money.
Ring - Someone will be married.
Safety Pin - A baby is on the way.
Thimble or Button - You will remain a bachelor/bachelorette.